g/ad

May 28

Tag: Australia,health/lifestylewendy @ 11:04 am

The list goes on for people like myself who grew up on the northern beaches of Sydney at a time when that region was undoubtedly at it’s very, very best. I grew up at number 15 Nenagh Street North Manly, off Pittwater road, across the road from Nolan Reserve and just down from Walkers tennis courts, and anyone who remembers Manly in the sixties and seventies (my decade) will attest that Manly is nowhere near now as great a place to be as it was then. Back then Manly was a wonderful little town, crowded only on summer weekends when everyone went down to the Corso and the ‘Parra’s’ (those who lived in the western suburbs) came over on the ferries to swim at ‘our’ beaches. We local kids could spot a ‘Parra’ a mile off; they wore thongs or sandals on the beach which flicked the sand up at you as they passed by, they carried bath towels instead of proper beach towels and they wore zinc on their noses and lips.

I remember Manly when…

You could drive from one end of the Corso to the other – the northern end was closed to traffic in 1979. You could actually park outside Coles on the Corso. Having lunch in Coles with Mum after doing some shopping; I can still remember how the milkshakes tasted in the cold aluminium containers. You could buy fantastic little green frog cakes in Pinkertons bakery on the Corso – they were filled with cream, glowed fluorescent green and had pink eyes, there was always a fly or two buzzing around the inside of the cake shop window but who cared about such things back then…? There was a Wimpy bar halfway up the Corso in 1973 which was not there for very long but I recall the hot dogs and the soft serve ice-cream. Humphreys newsagents was a basic shop outlet before it extended way back and became a small supermarket-style newsagents. The Odeon cinema stood directly opposite the Manly Fun Pier – I got banned from this cinema for a year by the skinny blonde woman who worked as the usherette, she was the managers wife (I think) and all because I called her an old bat after she would not let me back in after going to the loo. Cannot remember what picture my friends and I were seeing at the time – 1976 it was.

There was that old guy we called The Pearl King; he was an old guy with a long white beard and had a stall set up in the arcade halfway up the Corso beside Papallo’s fruit shop (I went to school with Vanessa Papallo…) that was all little jewellery boxes and you had to lean over the railing and toss a coin – you got the box that the coin landed on. Inside the box could be anything from a tacky ring to a bracelet or necklace but real kitschy stuff, nothing to get excited over. Anyway, it was a tradition to do this and he was a tourist attraction in himself. You could take your pick of fish and chip shops in Manly but the best one of all was the chippie at Manly Wharf as you went in on the left. They were still wrapping their chips in newspaper into the 1980’s – the best chips I have ever eaten by far. The Brighton Hotel; I was too young to go in as it was a pub but it smelled like pubs used to smell like – that heady aroma of beer and smoke that has been replaced these days by politically correct air-conditioning and no-smoking signs. It also had those old-style pub paintings of football scenes on the outside walls, pubs these days don’t smell like they used to.

Those little arcades that ran off the Corso; one featured a tiny barber shop run by two Italian brothers named Sam and Vince – it was at the back of the arcade that took you out to the multi-level parking lot behind the police station. A day on the beach meant you simply had to buy an ice-cream, a gelato, from the shop run by the Calacoci family on the corner right across the road from South Steyne beach. Next door was a great fish and chip shop but the Calacoci’s shop was the place to get your ice-creams, even after the Royal Copenhagen Ice-Cream shop opened in the early 80’s. They had been there since, well, those with genuine Manly-roots (not today’s pretenders) cannot recall Manly without them; Ivana was in my class at school at Stella Maris and she was still serving in the shop when I was last there in 2000 on Olympic Torch Day. It was the first shop where I tried licorice flavoured ice-cream (it was grey coloured) and they did the best watermelon ice-cream I ever had. Manly was not over-heavy on restaurants back then and the restaurant to go to was K’s Snapper Inn. They didn’t take bookings and you had to queue up outside and wait for a table but the wait was always worth it, it faced South Steyne beach and was legendary. It was opened there in 1966 by businessman Andrew Kalajzich who went on to run the later built Manly Pacific Hotel before infamously shooting and killing his wife Megan in her sleep. How the mighty did fall…

As a kid I went to the Manly Silver Screen cinema opposite the beach at South Steyne. It was situated where the Manly Pacific Hotel now stands, or near enough to the spot, it’s gone now of course but we kids had a lot of fun sitting upstairs and spitting on the heads of people sitting below us in the stalls. There was also the Hoyts cinema across the road from Manly Lawn Tennis club; there was a milk-bar adjoined to the cinema which was owned and run by the Greek parents of my school mate Vivienne Giannoulis. Events I remember were the big storm in 1974 which destroyed the walkway that joined Manly MarineLand (not called Ocean World back then) to Manly Wharf, the council never bothered rebuilding it and everyone went down the next day to look at the big empty space where that promenade had stood for so long. I recall in 1976 my friend and I had been sitting outside the art gallery next door to Marineland and we saw the famous pop singer of the time, Mark Holden, strolling by with his then girlfriend. She popped into the ladies and he stood outside while we sat with our eyes glued to him. The very first Manly Jazz Festival; started by a mate of my dad’s, John Speight (pictured) – I recall him coming round to visit dad one evening in 1976 to run a few ideas by him before he put together an event that has now become a national musical institution. John lived in the next street to us back then and his son Andrew Speight, now a respected jazz muso in hos own right, and I once had a name-calling exchange as kids when I passed his house on my bike and he and his mate went in for some teasing. John eventually came out and put a stop to all the nonsense. I wonder if Andrew would remember that…

The hydrofoils! a more expensive option for the ride over to Sydney than the ferry but much more fun; the ferry when I was a teen cost 25 cents and the hydrofoil cost a whopping 75 cents! the old South Steyne ferry (above) was still in commission though coming to the end of her grand career. To catch the hydro you had to sit on the floating pontoon that was enclosed with yellow plastic windows and it was on the other side of the wharf to the ferries. The ferries back then also had what was called the ‘Ladies Saloon’ on board; this was a section of the boat in which only women could sit and the men also had a ‘Gentleman’s Saloon’ at the other end of the ferry. Back in the 1970’s people were still considerate enough to respect this and you never saw a bloke dare to try and sit in the ladies saloon, if you were a woman travelling on your own at night you could sit in the ladies saloon and then you felt very safe.

Manly was always promoted as ‘Seven miles from Sydney and a thousand miles from care’ – it certainly was back then. Those heady days of the summer of 1976 was, for me, the best summer of my life when every day of the holidays and weekends were spent down at South Steyne beach with my friends sunbathing at the ‘hot spot’ which was in front of the surf pavilion at the end corner. We would stroll over for an ice-cream at our friend Ivana’s parents shop, buy a chico roll or chips at lunch time and then we’d collect our stuff and then wander around to Fairy Bower where it was usually less crowded. 2SM would be on the radio and the sun tan oil we’d use was Hawaiian Tropic in the brown glass bottle – for dark tanned skins no less – or my own favourite, Reef Oil in avocado or frangipani fragrance. Piz Buin and Ambre Solaire were new on the market but too dear for us to buy unless our Mums bought it for us…you were really cool if had Piz or Ambre in your bag. Manly was never better than it was back then – today it is over-developed, over-crowded, too expensive and has become way too commercial, you daren’t go there at night these days. The lifestyle Manly offered it’s locals back in the seventies was laid back and affordable; now it is all pretentiousness and investment – it has not been the same since the millionaires moved in but my memories are of Manly when it was priceless in far better ways.

Copyright © 2007-2015 Cultured Views. All rights reserved.

140 Responses to “Manly in the seventies: the ‘Pearl King’, driving down the Corso, Pinkertons bakery, Wimpy bar and Coles…”

1. David Anderson says:

Graham back in April mentioned the Javana Sling from Manly Wharf. I remember it well even back into the early 1950s. I was in the Army at Nth Head around 1961. I reckon this is close to the Javana Sling recipe but the original is always the best. Half fill a tall glass with some ice and cranberry juice. Add the juice of a lime with a couple of slices. Add some grated ginger and a few mint leaves. Top up with sparkling mineral water. Those still celebrating could add a nip of their favourite spirit

2. Roy Counsell says:

A great read. My parents owned the Surf Inn opposite Manly Surf Club from about 1965/6 through to when the Raddison was built. We still have a unit in the iconic “Dungowan”. Still remember the shark tower, the visiting kids at Far West going swimming in their brown gea, the old long boards lined up against the wall going the length of the beach and best memories of the Steyne in its heyday.

3. Jan McLean Ryan says:

I read these comments with great interest and nostalgia. My mother worked at the Corso Coffee Lounge opposite Manly Wharf for 35 years. I went to Mackellar Girls high, frequented Millers Manly Vale Hotel and hung around the Pearl King watching with wide eyes as people threw their money down hoping to win a pearl. Every afternoon after school, I got a milkshake from Mum and went to the beach to read my Agathe Christie novel. The Fun Pier was a frequent haunt and I can still smell the donuts and fish and chips we had every weekend. My friends and I would catch the ferry back and forth just to flirt with the boys who worked on the “Baragoola”. Those were the days,so many wonderful memories walking up and down the Corso listening to our “trannies”.

4. Megan Morgan says:

OMG! My afternoon started out Googling the Manly Hydrofoils and after landing on this page, I have spent the entire afternoon reading all your posts. I was born in 65 at the Mater in North Sydney. We lived in North Narrabeen but my Mum worked in Brookvale at a number of places including Murray Fords and Col Crawfords. She then worked at the Manly Warringah Leagues Club and did all the wages including the small wage that the Sea Eagles players got paid back then. She knew Bobby Fulton, Graham Eddy and the rest of the boys well and we caught up with Bobby in the 80s in Wales as he was coaching a Wallaby’s team. I remember the great pizzas at the Pizza Hut at Warringah Mall and the mini put put golf near the car park there, the League’s club Christmas for the kids on District Oval with a present and an ice cream for each girl and boy. The cinema opposite Manly Wharf where I saw Jaws and many other movies including Ride a Wild Pony and Bedknobs and Broomsticks. My nanna lived in the Council flats in Cove Avenue near Manly Wharf and I used to swing on a tree near the harbour for hours whilst my parents were visiting. I loved driving, yes driving up the Corso at night with the coloured lights making the palm trees look so magical. I remember the Pearl King and would beg Dad to give me 20c. We ate regularly on a Friday night a Ks Snapper Inn. My mother always ordered the same thing. Prawn cocktail and lobster mornay followed by cheesecake. It was such a treat and we were always made to feel special. We were regulars. I remember standing freezing cold in winter in the queue to get a table. I loved the potatoe scallops from the fish and chip shop near the corner opposite the Steyne. My brother is six years older than me and he spent many a day wagging school to surf at Manly among other things. We left Australia in 76 and I came back in 84 and even then Manly had changed a lot. The Corso was a mall and just looked sad and depressing. I took the kids there in 2012 and it still looked depressing. For a while in 75 my Dad lived at the Manly International. Had a really cool serviced appartment with great water views. I too now live on the Central Coast at Point Clare. Moved here in 2004 to give my kids the same kind of childhood as I spent at the beach after school. My beach was North Narrabeen and the fantastic ocean pool. I have a picture of this pool on my mood board next to my desk. I had a wonderful childhood on the northern beaches and it was magical. Coconut oil to get the best tan. Spotting the paras with their thongs and coming to the beach fully dressed. Getting a chocolate heart or lime splice after a day at the beach before heading home. What a life!

5. wendy says:

So nice to read your memories! I am actually thinking of expanding on this article because more memories keep coming back to me every day and I want to record them so that others can share them and remember their own great times growing up on the Northern Beaches. I remember the Mater hospital…I used to visit my pop there in the 70’s when he had a heart problem and that creaky old cage lift used to freak me out. My beach was Freshwater and what I’d give to have a pine-lime splice these days…it was THE icecream to buy from the kiosk and eat on the sand. We tried to get into the Snapper Inn once but the queue was long and my dad was not one who liked waiting in line for a table…shame as he was a devoted prawn and lobster eater and it would have been worth the wait. I must be the only Manly person to not have eaten there! I remember those kids xmas parties at Brookvale oval, we also went to a couple at North Sydney oval as dad was a member there too. If you’ve anymore memories feel free to revisit and post them here, they always remind us of something else :)

6. chris says:

Does anyone remember when Skyhooks played at Manly Beach on New Years Eve (maybe 1976 not sure?). Richard Clapton and many others also used to hold free concerts at the beach. Also, there was a time when the Cinema opposite Manly beach (I think it was the Metro and then Silver Screen, but again not sure?)and it became a place where bands played in the 70’s e.g. little river band played there. There was also the Flicks which was also converted from a cinema to a venue for bands and The Knack played there along with so many other artists of the day. I also remember at the bottom of Sydney road opposite Manly Oval was where people used to hitch a ride. You don’t see that anymore. Wendy, I actually had a pine-lime splice up the coast on the Easter weekend as I was also craving one after many, many years. It was just as I remembered it. Now here is one for the real old locals – “Boppers Disco” – who remembers it? Held at Kangaroo Street and North Steyne surf club. That was the weekly event all the underage kids looked forward to. Could go on and on and will come back to this site but gotta work now. Happy Memories :)

7. wendy says:

Chris I do remember Boppers indeed, at North Steyne surf club. I went to Stella Maris and a lot of very well brought up catholic girls from my school got up to to some very un-catholic stuff there afterwards 😉
    I remember Skyhooks playing new years eve at Manly because I remember not being allowed to go, lol. The Silver Screen – yes. My younger sister and I were allowed to see movies on a Saturday afternoon there on our own – dad would drop us there and pick us up. Being under 12 at that time I felt very grown up being responsible for my sister. I recall the upstairs part where the refreshments were sold, it was a very old-fashioned cinema with the familiar ‘stuffy’ atmosphere because of the heavy curtains and carpets. Was a sad day when it was pulled down.

8. KYM Powell says:

Hi, wow, what great memories, I went to manly public and manly boys high, my mum used to work at mr wimpy and she give us all free shakes, I lived in calling wood st , just up from Stella , all great girls, hope you read this peter darley, we had some funny times.

9. rh says:

Has everyone already seen the Midnight Oil exhibition at manly Art Gallery? It closes on Sept 7 2014

10. Peter Darley says:

Ahhh Kym Powell havnt heard that name in a while. Yeah Manly Public, Manly Boys High, Harbord Hilton, Steyne, and Footy with Manly Vikings and Valley. Great times in Manly. Use to run a muck. Kids today don’t know how good we had it. Love to catch up Kym if you get this

11. Jane says:

Hi I lived in Manly in the 60s – 70s up bower St in three different address, then latterly Fairlight. Remember Spellsons for a greasy take away late at night, Yolanda’s Wine Bar, 1066 at Collaroy Plateau, Narabeen Milk Bar served the best burgers and milk shakes. Mona Vale pub was our weekend hag out with three bars to choose from. Worked at the Steyne Hotel till we left for UK in 1976. My best mate Shelly and I used to cruise down the Corso and tease a guy we nicknamed Movie Star as he wore those reflective sunglasses. Pinkertons, the other opposite sold great cheese rolls, Snapper Inn when it was 6 tables, Attended Stella till 1974.

12. vanessa says:

I too am an ex stella girl of the late 70s so i remember the grasshopper term very well. back then you either hung round with christian brothers boys or st augustines boys . i absolutely loved growing up around manly . thank you for sharing so many memories i remember them all.

13. Stephanie says:

What a great read this has been – article & comments both! My family moved to Sydney in 1972 when I was 14 and we lived in Fairlight. I went to Mackellar Girls 1972-1976. Great memories of the Manly Pier – much time spent at the pool hall & pinball machine place near where Ocean World is now. I remember as well cheering the Sea Eagles to victory. Am looking for anyone who knows the Manly Pie Shop – particularly the pie crust recipes! Thanks to Wendy and everyone for bringing back great memories.

14. wendy says:

My pleasure Stephanie! :) I always liked the Mackellar girls uniform…much nicer than the awful bottle-green we wore at Stella, lol.

15. wendy says:

My pleasure Stephanie! :) I always liked the Mackellar girls uniform…much nicer than the awful bottle-green rig we wore at Stella, lol.

16. LK says:

I also went to Stella in the 70s and couldn’t wear green for 30 years afterwards. So funny reading all about Manly. I remember the concert on the beach, the pier, the shops, the smells and the beach. Mostly I remember being blessed enough to walk to school along the beach every morning. My parents owned the Steyne from 1972 so I woke up to that glorious beach view everyday. The smell of the ocean is my most vivid memory. These posts have reminded me of so much I’d forgotten about. Thanks for the memories.

17. chris says:

I went to the Steyne Hotel for the first time in 1981 on my 18th birthday. We had been to dinner at the Black Stump restaurant, Mosman beforehand. The bouncer at the Steyne wouldn’t let me in as I had no I.D. Didn’t really matter because we decided to go to the Manly Vale Hotel instead to see a band. Can’t remember who we saw that night but it could have been Cold Chisel, Aussie Crawl, Dragon, Midnight Oil, Mentals, INXS, Ice House, Divinyls……….. and the list goes on. These fantastic bands were on tap in those days. How lucky were we? Happy days

18. liz mills says:

Omg I’ve got goosebumps butterflies and tears in my eyes. Every txt brought back memories. My family moved to manly from Northern Ireland in 1970. Lived in Alexander st next door to miss vegimite although we knew her as miss manly and apparently she won the title back in the day, my friend and I once put a card in her mailbox for valentines day and she caught us and chased us with her string back which she carried around full of rocks. She scared the life out of us but it didnt stop us teasing her. We were only twelve at the time. Does any one remember Wayne in the wheelchair who sold papers outside the Ivanhoe. Him and his brother owned the pinny parlour at the end of the wharf. The place i happily lost my youth. Kevin Rosa was my first love! Wow like walking thru the park and reminiscing! Thanks for the memories guys

19. wendy says:

Where in Northern Ireland did you come from Liz? thanks for sharing :)

20. Graham says:

LK stated that “My parents owned the Steyne hotel from 1972”.

The L in LK wouldn’t happen to be Linda? – I think I remember a girl around that time, who went to Stella, with other girls such as Amanda Fryer, Diane deLeeuw, Mary Borger.

21. Graham says:

Another stab in the dark – Linda Ryan!

22. Bruce says:

Born @ VJ Strong Memorial Hospital Nth Head 1963, Manly The Greatest place to grow up as a kid,I remember all of the above mentioned & the horses at Stables St Pats Collage

23. John Relph says:

Good reminiscing, I grew up in Manly in the 40’s and 50’s, I used to swim most every day of the year and in 1944-1946 used to dive for money at Manly Pool 75 yards wide and 386 yards long.and then manl I used to live in Little Manly Pittwater Road near Carlton Street. May I comment WELL DONE and keep up the fine work. I went to Manly School to year 6 and then Sydney Grammar School. Used to play most every day from Queenscliff to Shelley Beach and of course Manly Pool, beautiful memories.

24. Glenn says:

Hi guys, I live in SA but was researching something for an elderly woman here, who was known as June Lane back in the 1970s. She knew Ron Herron who was a manager at the Spartan club in Manly. Is the club still there and does anyone have Ron’s contact details? June is now 89 and lives near me and still plays snooker! Thanks.

25. wendy says:

Hi Glenn, maybe someone can help you with this, but there’s a Manly group on Facebook that could very well provide you with answers as the group is about the 70’s in Manly :)

Good luck!

26. Graham says:

Hi Glenn

I frequented the Spartan Club for many years, it’s heyday coinciding with the popularity of the TV show “Pot Black”.

I also remember Ron but never really knew him personally. However there were two other characters at the time who frequented the place on a regular basis and also were a few years older than me and I’m sure knew Ron pretty well.

One was Ric Carter who ended up as well known stand-up comedian and actor.

You could try and contact him about Ron if you can find some info about him on the web.

Cheers
    haracof these

27. Lord Kuz says:

Ah.. the Spartan Club. I recall how I was hanging out to join at the required age of 14..(73). or thereabouts.. and still have my membership card, which I later got Eddie Charlton to sign. The place was a bit of a dive…but only place you could find a full sized, slate snooker table – apart from the more upmarket clubs (Diggers and Fishos). The cuisine at the Spartan was extensive… sausage rolls .. or….. sausage roll with sauce (bottomless bottle of sauce). So ..fortunately I always wanted a sausage roll!

28. NARELLE says:

Wow just found this site when googling Manly Girls where I went from 73-75 (2nd to 4thform). my dad was in the army at north head and we lived there I am one of 4 girls (PYE). have may great day just roaming the head and quarantine station. I works at Pinkertons when the LEE’s owned it and remember Mavis very well it was my first job and worked on Saturday mornings in 75. All the places mentioned have bought back great memories. Spent every school day arvo at the fun pier waiting for the bus to take us up to north head, mornings before school at the wharf in the telephone boxes with heaps of other kids smoking, we were so naughty, spent every weekend at Manly beach (summer and winter)oh to be 15 again. The curly dances what a great place that was to see bands saw AC/DC there in 74 wore a pair of jeans out dancing. Moved to Allambie heights when dad got out of the army and lived there till I got married and moved to the central coast. My husband proposed to me at DIDI’s so the northern beaches will always be special to me. love the chat on this page thanks N

29. Ian says:

Hi, I spent a lot of my childhood in Manly from Manly Primary to 1st year at Manly Boys High in the early 60s. I lived at Earls Court for a while.. opposite Manly pool. I spent some time with the son of the people who managed the pool. He was a disabled kid and I used to to push him up the hill on his billy cart so he could fearlessly sail down the path at high speed. I thought I saw him years later (early 90s) and to my regret I didn’t say hello. Does anyone remember a disabled guy selling newspapers in Manly Corso? ..

30. wendy says:

Yes, wasn’t his name Wayne? I read that he sadly passed away a few months back :(

31. Ian says:

Thank you so much Wendy. Did you know him.. or buy papers off him? Can you tell me where you read that please?

32. wendy says:

Ian, Wayne and his brother are mentioned in comment no.100 if you just scroll up a wee bit. I received news of his death in an email. He was a well known character in Manly, and a well respected one too :)

33. Ian says:

Thanks Wendy, I found this post from the Manly Daily – https://www.facebook.com/manlydaily/posts/10152515887949290

34. Rory says:

I remember Ron at the Spartan and the Bally money machines a version of the poker machines.There were 2 floors 1 st floor was commonly used but the 2nd was full of snooker tables as well but not used.I wonder what happened to Ron?

35. David says:

Inside the totem Balgowlah as you walked in from the Carpark, just to the right I think, was a yummy smelling store that had Italian salamis and stuff, but also inside a few barrels that had different types of honey in them that you could try and buy, like fill your own little hexagon jar…the sandalwood honey was yum…. Would love to know what that stores history was about. Next door was a supermarket where as you entered there was a whole caged wall of cardboard boxes you could use to throw excess boxes up into, or get them out the bottom to use, but we loved to just chuck empties up and over the bar for fun while mum shopped. Loved the totem pole….oh and the guy who sat atop tyres in his faded red suit and top hat….bet it was someone’s rendition of johnny walkers scotch man

36. wendy says:

That supermarket with the boxes was Franklins – and I believe where was a small dept store in there too as I bought a record album from there. Not sure if it was a Target or could have been a Big W. This was circa ’76.

37. Rory says:

When entering the same entrance at the Totem Shopping Centre at Balgowlah,on your immediate left was the Toy and Sport shop,bought fireworks in there as well.I think next door was the jewellers?The Deli certainly had that smell of all the cold meats and sticks of salami hanging down.I used to go the Laundromat one of the ironing ladies was the mum of a guy I played footy with,she insisted in ironing all my clothes.I think the supermarket next door was Coles?.There was also the squash courts and the slot car track,a furniture shop.Long time ago for me,but nice memories!

38. George Goodwin says:

I visited Manly around 1971. I was in the U.S. Navy and our ship was docked at Sydney. I took a ferry to Manly to eat at The Snapper. There were two of us and we loved the town and the food. Alas, we missed the ferry back to Sydney. We tried to stay at a hotel on a hill in sight of the ferry terminal. It had a blue neon sign out front. I can’t remember the name of it. The matron forced us back onto the street so we sat on a bench for the night until the morning. Does anyone remember the hotel? It may have been up on Osborne Street. I know it was up a hill to the right of the ferry terminal. Cheers.

39. wendy says:

Hi George, thanks for sharing your memories of Manly – I am doing some homework on that hotel, I know the hotel you refer to but am trying to find out the name and will post it here asap for you :)

40. wendy says:

George, would it have been Earl’s Court or Ambassadors Hotel?

41. Deano says:

Great memories on this chat page. The name of the champion guy who sold newspapers outside the Ivanhoe hotel was Wayne Hora. Top bloke. Only recently passed away.If there was better place to grow up in than manly in the sixties and seventies it’s not in this planet. Just my humble opinion.

42. Pauline says:

Absolutely love all the posts, brings back fantastic memories of the best place in the World to grow up. Young teen in the late 60’s and 70’s and what a time it was. Manly Vale Hotel was so much fun and The Can. Makes me very homesick, even for the ‘new’ Manly. Grew up in Malvern Avenue and our playground was the beach, never got bored. Thanks for bringing back all the great times Wendy.

43. wendy says:

My pleasure Pauline!

44. Jim says:

“There was also the Hoyts cinema across the road from Manly Lawn Tennis club”

This became ‘The Flicks’ nightclub in the 1970s, mentioned above by Chris. It was operated by the late Larry Burton Danielson, a New Zealander who later became notorious as one the Woolworths Bombers. Larry still screened movies there in the late afternoon/evening before staging the night’s band on the stage. Plenty of big name local bands appeared at The Flicks and 2JJ was often there recording or broadcasting the show. Half or more of the seats in the stalls area were removed to accommodate one of those ubiquitous coloured light disco dance floors. Upstairs on the landing facing Belgrave Street was the piano bar. Larry was a seasoned old school nightclub performer. Around Christmastime, after a few drinks, he’d occasionally play a set on the piano himself.

45. Jim says:

Just updating that Facebook link to what is now Lost Manly and the Northern Beaches:

46. Bob Droder says:

HI I was born in manly 1941 ,Just near the manly diggers club ,That is gone too ,Loved manly and all the places and people ,,Things have changed not for the best Sorry to say Went to school at manly public and then to balgowah high (SHAKE town )in the 50s you could walk and drive up& down the CORSO ,ME and all the motor bikes & later the boys with there cars would park and chat up all the girls on the week ends DO YOU REMEMBER

47. gary oliver says:

i so loved the old days manly pie shop odeon cinema….didis……manly pool hall… drive in …beacon hill high christine woodcock loved her lol

48. Peter Pillidge says:

born @ VJ Strong Memorial Hospital, Manly on 16 August 1957 while my Dad celebrated my iminate birth at the Harbord Hilton;we lived at 31 Queenscliff Rd, Queenscliff (which my old man built in 1956, with help of course){it has since been reinvented into a hidious ethnic themed eyesore} . Went to Manly Public School while the Girls, now MacKellar Girls was still on the school grounds, remember the old sandstone school being demolished with only the old bell tower left as a monument. As kindy & 1st/2nd class’s we were located in a crumbling two storey building facing Victoria Parade after which 3rd,4th,5th & 6th classes moved into the three storey girls school after they moved to Manly North. Miss Godwin & Mrs Frazer are amongst teachers I can recall along with Mr Ginns (hope he came to a painful end)
    Manly Boys High after that from 1970 to 1975 with a plethora of weird drug affected teachers.
    I recall the opening of Coles New World supermarket & how fresh/new it smelt; Buckinghams (later Waltons) next to St Matthews; the stench of the Ivanhoe….smelt like a public dunny;
    Manly Wharf (left side) had the best chips & of course I remember Miss Manly at the taxi rank…the string bag she waved about was lemons not rocks, how she did not get arrested at every appearance outside the Council Chambers beats me given the bra less see through tops, mini skirts, fishnets, stillettos & bad wigs she wore…wonder what ever happened to her…she must have been in her late 60’s back in the 70’s
    Pittwater Rd Brookvale was the best place for early morning pizza after driving fully tanked from the city( can’t recall the name but it was real Italian pizza

49. David says:

Hey Manly-ites. Leaving Manly West Primary i used to walk home thru the cemetery…loved that place! So many memories…but I digress. There used to be an old ramshackle edifice on the corner that served as a tombstone carvers something or other…anyone got more info?
    While I’m here, anyone remember a crew-cut, salt and pepper haired tyrant of a woman called Mrs. Small, with the severe red lipstick and a hatred for children as she rang that hellish brass bell atop those steps, calling all her victims back to class…mid 70’s?…Obviously I do, thus venting a weird childhood throwback stirred up from my cemetary musings. I hope she wasn’t buried there!……sorry, still venting.

50. len eaton says:

KYM Powell, your entry in 2014…good to read

51. gary oliver says:

ANYONE REMEMBER THE NICE HAMBURGERS ON PITTWATER ROAD MANLY NEAR FISHERMANS CLUB MMMM……..ANYONE KNOW CHRISTINE WOODCOCK IF SO TELL HER GARY OLIVER SENDS HIS REGARDS WE OWNED THE EAST INDIA RESTAURANT IN BROOKVALE MANY YEARS BACK…..I SO LOVED DIDIS

52. Grant Carr says:

I grew up in Manly, going to Balgowlah Boys High School. Does anyone remember the Broken Candle restaurant, run by Tony and Debbie, in Manly? What a groove! We used to go to the Spartan Room to play snooker and the Steyne Hotel. Surfed at Manly and every other Peninsula beach. SCUBA dived everywhere there also. Listened to bands at Manly Oval (AC/DC, etc), Bryants Manly Vale, Narrabeen Antler Hotel. I used to attend swim races at Manly saltwater baths, harbour-side. Not there any more. The old pool between the wharf and Marineland was great – bad luck the storm got it. Anyway, what a place to grow up! I still frequent the area as much as possible. Manly Beach is sensational. Some of the development is good but I hope is does not do a Gold Coast!

53. Greg Gibson says:

Hi Guys- does anyone remember a small curry house located at the back of one of the arcades on the left walking towards the beach on the Corso. (Early nineties)- keen to find out if they have relocated or a contact name
    Thanks

54. leigh mcinnes says:

hey kym, went to manly primary also. we were so blessed to have lived in manly when we did. i couldnt live there now. scott mcpherson, robert stope? or stokes? remember sooooo many of you. just came across this site. AMAZING!

55. leigh mcinnes says:

hey grant, did you know dereck hopkinson from balgowlah boys high? i used to go out with neil cartland, god that was along time ago.i went to mackellar girls high prior to that i was at manly primary.i lived in golf parade and consumed many a great burger at the shop your talking about.cant remember the name of it but yes food was great there.this site is soooooo cool.

56. leigh mcinnes says:

hey liz, WOW! someone else that remembers miss vegemite. i lived in golf parade. my girlfriend carol and i used to go to vegemites house and pick the red berries off her asparagus plant that grew along her front fence, and we would throw them on her tin roof and wait until she opened the front door to see her chasing us with an umbrella. rumour had it at the time that she used to be an aspiring model in her day and hated her aging, hence hiding her face behind the manly daily newspaper all the time.

57. leigh mcinnes says:

hey peter. small world. i was born in manly hospital 1961. went to manly primary, then mackellar girls high. lived in number 80 queenscliff rd.used to be a brick duplex,not anymore. a modern block of apartments.you would have gone to school with bruce cartland. he lived at the end of queenscliff rd. remember the days of stocking up at a local shop of fireworks. those mems i ll never forget.

58. gary oliver says:

what about brays gardenia restaurant manly who remembers that home cooked like meals stewed apricot with custard etc